|Select Civil Code Sections|
|Section: 51.3 | 712 | 713 | 714 | 714.1 | 714.5 | 783 | 1133 | 1134 | 1468 ||
Section 714.1 - Permitted Solar Energy System Restrictions
(a) Notwithstanding Section 714, an association may impose reasonable provisions that:
(1) Restrict the installation of solar energy systems in common areas to those systems approved by the association.
(2) Require the owner of a separate interest to obtain the approval of the association for the installation of a solar energy system in a separate interest owned by another.
(3) Provide for the maintenance, repair, or replacement of roofs or other building components
(4) Require installers of solar energy systems to indemnify or reimburse the association or its members for loss or damage caused by the installation, maintenance, or use of the solar energy system.
(b) An association shall not:
(1) Establish a general policy prohibiting the installation or use of a rooftop solar energy system for household purposes on the roof of the building in which the owner resides, or a garage or carport adjacent to the building that has been assigned to the owner for exclusive use.
(2) Require approval by a vote of members owning separate interests in the common interest development, including that specified by Section 4600, for installation of a solar energy system for household purposes on the roof of the building in which the owner resides, or a garage or carport adjacent to the building that has been assigned to the owner for exclusive use. An action by an association that contravenes paragraph (1) or (2) shall be void and unenforceable.
(c) For purposes of this section:
Amended: Statutes of 2017, Chapter 818